Monday, April 18, 2011

Digging in to some Pi.

Hmm, it's been a while hasn't it? Time to dust off the old mental typewriter (yes I have a typewriter in my head because frankly, I'm old school) and get back to blogging. As for my loooooooooooooooooooooooong absence, I can only blame my chronic procrastination. But, on to Life of Pi. I'm rather skeptic about Martel's writing in his "discovery of the story", I don't dislike it, but I'm not super thrilled with it either. But once we get into the story things get a lot better. When Pi and his parents were confronted with the "three wise men", I cracked up. One thing that confused me however, is the multi-religion thing. Pi finds 3 different religions at the same time and follows all of them. Wait, backup, rewind, I thought the whole "one religion" thing was kinda important. Seems like it'd help you keep your priorities straight at least. But I find no glaring problems with this, it's rather interesting actually the way it's just... simplified. If I had one negative comment though, it'd be this,"Does there have to be so many freaking lists?" This is where the book begins to sound like me on super drugs (that was for you Shaw) and goes random and tangential (please let that be a word). Random animals, anecdotes that seem to go nowhere, it detracts from an otherwise good story. But bottom line I'm enjoying Life of Pi and am looking forward to reading more.

No comments:

Post a Comment